Links: NYT, WSJ, HuffPo, WashPo, New Yorker
- When Exercise Stresses You Out, by Gretchen Reynolds, Times, March 13.
- Eat Your Heart Out, by Gretchen Reynolds, Times, March 7.
- Postscript: Nora Ephron, by David Remnick, New Yorker, July 9.
- Greater than she knew
- The 20 Million, by Mark Bittman, Times, June 12.
- Hardly eat
- Gross Ingredients In Processed Foods , by Sarah Klein, Huff Post, May 14.
Eat no meat
- We Could Be Heroes, by Mark Bittman, Times, May 15.
Eat less meat
- The Disconnect: Why are so many Americans living by themselves?, by Nathan Heller, The New Yorker, April 16.
- Rise and Fall of Eight So-Called Healthy Foods, by Ryan Glasspiegel, thedailymeal.com, February 27.
Red meat, eggs, butter, dairy
- Yet another foolish form of segregation: by age, by Beverly Beckham, Boston Globe, March 4.
Old old story
- Nutrition: Options Play a Role in Healthier Choices, by Nicholas Bakalar, The Times, February 13.
- 70 Year-Old Enquirer Designs an App for Gossip, by Amy Chozik, The Times, January 15
Nominated for a Pulitzer
- The Fat Trap, by Tara Parker-Pope, The Times, December 28
“. . . The body continues to fight against weight loss long after dieting has stopped.”
- In the Body’s Shield Against Cancer, a Culprit in Aging May Lurk, by Nicholas Wade, The Times, November 21
“. . . if you purge the body of its senescent cells, the tissues remain youthful and vigorous.” Old story
- For Beginning Runners, Advice Can Be a Hurdle, by Gina Kolata, The Times, November 14
“There is nothing like starting your Saturday morning being beaten by 75-year-old men and passed at the finish line by 8-year-old kids.” Running story
- What Boomers Do Best (and how you can prosper after 50), by Julia Moulden, Huffington Post, June 12
- When the Roommate Has Four Legs, by Antoinette Martin, The Times, October 20
Buildings with pet-related culture in mind . . . Dog’s life
- GenPhilly http://www.genphilly.org
- Sally Abrahms, Writer Baby Boomers and more http://www.sallyabrahms.com
- Book Review | A Reminiscence of my Father, Cary Grant, by Jennifer Grant, Washington Times, August 5
Cary Grant Story
- Redefining the Hot Dog, a Cart at a Time, by Jeff Gordinier, The Times, August 9. ”There are children in New York who have never eaten a hot dog.” Very sad story
- Who are you calling Grandma?, by Alexandra Zissu, The Times, May 11″ . . . the actress Blythe Danner, wanted to be called Woof by her grandchildren. “My mom’s hot and she didn’t want to be called Grandma,” Ms. Paltrow said.” Gwyneth’s mom
- When Are You Too Old to Exercise?, by Judith J. Wurtman, Huffington Post, April 13
“The Miami Herald had a front page article about recreational baseball players who ranged in age from 69 (the baby) to 93.” Old story
- How to Save a Trillion Dollars, by Mark Bittman, The Times, April 12
“And we could do that by preventing disease instead of treating it.” Now that’s real money
- The D Word, by Nora Ephron, Huffington Post, 2010 “Of course, there are good divorces, where everything is civil, even friendly. . . In my next life I must get one of those divorces.” The D word
- Two-Thirds of Brookline Seniors Don’t Know About Available Services by Kate Spalla, Brookline Patch, 2010 Alberta Lipson, Ruthann Dobek